Twitter Flickr Tumblr Vimeo Pinterest Forrst

Spring rolls and miso soup

Justin really does go all out on our dinners at home. Twice so far he’s made spring rolls, which is kind of a tedious thing to make. He fills them with rice noodles, lettuce, cilantro, fried tofu, blanched carrots, and avocado. And then he makes homemade peanut sauce.

I contribute to these meals by making miso soup. We found this recipe and it’s TOTALLY the best miso soup ever.

I’ve also been making lots of vintage cocktails from Ted Haigh’s Vintage Spirits and Forgotten Cocktails – last night we had Algonquin Cocktails (1 1/2 ounces rye whiskey, 3/4 ounce dry vermouth, 3/4 ounce pineapple juice – shake with ice, then strain into a chilled glass), which were surprisingly good. Then I made Justin a Scofflaw (1 1/2 ounces rye whiskey, 1 ounce dry vermouth, 3/4 ounce lemon juice, 3/4 ounce grenadine – shake with ice, then strain into a chilled glass), which he LOVED. I used homemade grenadine (just boil 2 parts pomegranate juice and 1 part sugar until dissolved, then cool), and it pretty much rocked. Wow, that was a lot of parentheses-recipes. :)

Anyway, dinner at home has been wonderful with Justin in the kitchen. It’s lovely being spoiled.

9 Comments on "Spring rolls and miso soup"

• Wei-Wei says

I made miso soup today, too – basically just boiled water, threw in LOTS of leftover seaweed (fresh, really big pieces of seaweed, precooked and soaked in a miso paste-y watery bath with spring onions, precooked by my mother) and some miso paste to taste.

Done. Now I don’t know what to do with the rest of the pot of miso soup. :(

• Wei-Wei says

Mainly because I’m leaving to Taiwan on Sunday… >:(

• Crystal says

Doh! A miso soup party, maybe? Also, have fun in Taiwan! Can we see photos when you return?

• Wei-Wei says

Hehe – I’m bringing my computer. Hopefully will be blogging about my adventures alone – my sister is working and I can stay at her place, but during the day I’m free to explore! Totally looking forward to that.

• Crystal says

Oh, good! I’ll check in on you…

• Becca says

miso soup!
    I bought some miso a week or so ago, and have been looking for the perfect miso soup recipe. thanks!

• Crystal says

Yay, soup! I’ve made this recipe twice, and I really like it. Justin says it’s better than any restaurant miso soup he’s had. :)

• Jodi says

I can’t wait to make this soup! Wish I had seen this before we went to MT market yesterday. Adam makes awesome spring rolls at home too. I love ‘em!

• Crystal says

Well if it’s closer to you, Central Market carries the shiro miso, wakame and dashi packets. :)