This weekend we escaped the ACL crowds and drove to San Antonio.
- Stayed at the lovely Hotel Havana
- Had excellent cocktails and snacks at The Esquire Tavern with Jeret, Javi and Rob (fried beets, potato tacos, house made chips, deviled eggs, along with too many unnamed and just-made-up cocktails to count)
- Had a delicious lunch at Rosario’s – thank you, Lexie! (ceviche that tasted like my dad’s, pozole with plenty of oregano, and the lengua plate – simmered beef tongue with beans, rice and tortillas)
- Walked around the King William historic district (reminded us of New Orleans)
- Had snacks at Ocho Lounge (fruta mixta and chorizo queso)
- Took naps, danced around the room, sat on the patio
- Walked through the Riverwalk, then a bit south to have snacks at The Monterey (pork egg rolls; roasted cauliflower with shaved beef cheek, goat cheese and grapes; rice bowl with kimchi, pickled vegetables, poached egg, nori, and pork belly)
- Drank cava on the patio til the wee hours of the morning
- Had breakfast at Ocho Lounge (banana nut bread smothered in peanut butter, bananas and honey; broiled grapefruit with mezcal and sugar; chorizo and eggs with plantains and beans)
- Checked out the Pearl Brewery area, and found a lovely pink scarf for me
- Drove to the Hill Country to spend some time with Justin’s folks
All in all, a lovely and much-needed getaway weekend. 🙂
8 responses to “A weekend getaway”
Loved my stays there! Hope you checked at the Havana Bar downstairs! Oddly sexy (Twin Peaks-ish?), just like their elevator! Looking forward to checking out their Ocho.
We did! It was such a dark and sexy spot! (I’m officially in love with red candle jars now, too.)
You had me at banana bread smothered in peanut butter and bananas. I will be making my way to Ocho Lounge very soon! I am glad you enjoyed your time in San Antonio:)
It was so so so good! That banana bread/pb was actually one of my favorite dishes of the whole trip. I’m now planning on baking banana bread weekly to eat just like this. 🙂
And thanks so much for your recommendations! They worked out perfectly.
That sounds wonderful. Now I think
I may need a getaway.
Do it! We planned it the night before and just drove away. It was lovely. 🙂