Weekend Warriors

August 30, 2010

Justin and I spent our Saturday traveling all over Austin to do some food research for the book. We ended up visiting 10 places in one day.

We started out with just one rule: we could only take one bite of each dish, so that we didn’t get full too early in the game. Yeah, that didn’t work. One bite?! Of a hot and tasty migas taco? Of a fresh piece of sake nigiri? Of a cool coconut snow cone?

It was a lot of food! We didn’t eat it all, or even half of it, but it was still a looooong day of eating. We took our little Zumi camera and my Canon Rebel along for the ride, and I put together this video of our day. It’s a good 7 minutes long, so I understand if you don’t have time/desire to watch it. :)

For those who do watch it, lemme know what you think!

Happy Monday, everybody!

Weekend Warriors from Crystal Esquivel on Vimeo.

On the Food Trail: Cake Salé

Long time no see! Okay, onward. I thought I’d give…

Crapton of veggies.

So I really like this post on Zen Habits about…

Hot hot dog

Justin calls this a hot hot dog. That is all.

1. David says:

Looks great, that’s a ton of food for one day! Most of those stops are new names to me, Austin has so many good places to eat!

Thanks! Yep, I’m so excited about finding new spots and revisiting old ones. There are so many sides to Austin’s food… just another reason I love this place. :)

2. kimW says:

loved the video– best 7 minutes I’ve used all day!!

3. Nicole says:

Loved the video. My favorite part? “BEES!” So cute!

Of all of those food places, we’ve only been to a few…The Whip-In, Ryu of Japan, and Lick It, Bite It, or Both. I especially love the Whip-In. Their naan tastes so different and I love it so much.

What was your favorite bite all day?

I’m so scared of bees! :)

Hm, my favorite bite of that day… I’d say it’s between the migas with ham taco at El Primo or the ageadashi tofu at Ryu. Or the coconut snow cone, because I love coconut snow cones. :)

4. Thomas says:

I watched the movie! I felt early on I wanted to hear your comments on the locations, but then as I continued watching, I started to feel the warm and fuzzy nature of the video and it was like watching a home movie from the 60’s.. all in all good fun, and it makes me want to eat out and look for adventure.

Hahaha I hate bees too! They scare me. You’re too too cute Crystal, and I love it when I see you with Justin. You look so happy and in love ;) Oh yeah, and your face at 3.20? Priceless. :D

6. Flavia says:

You two are a lovely, lovely couple! :)x