Oh, so good

August 30, 2006

Justin and I each have our own favorite side dishes: I love mashed potatoes, while Justin adores roasted veggies with browned butter sauce. Occasionally when I’m making the week’s menu, I’ll ask him if he has any requests…he often says, “roasted vegetables!” So this meal made us both happy.

To go along with the sides, we made Spice-Crusted Tofu, which is always a treat. All those flavors, the sweetness from the honey, and the crunch of the pine nuts…delicious. Plus mashed potatoes? And roasted broccoli? Such a good meal.

And what’s even better is that the next day, I get to have this:

Mashed potato sandwiches. The ultimate high-carb comfort food.

Roasted Vegetables with Balsamic-Browned Butter Sauce

• 1 large bunch broccoli, cut into florets (or a bunch of asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces, or green beans or cauliflower or…)
  • Cooking spray
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 2 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce
  • 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar

Preheat oven to 400ËšF.

Arrange vegetables in a single layer on a baking sheet; coat with cooking spray. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 12 minutes or until tender and roasty-toasty.

Melt the butter in a small skillet over medium heat; cook for 3 minutes or until lightly browned, shaking pan occasionally. Remove from heat and let cool a bit; stir in soy sauce and vinegar. (This will sizzle and pop and burn you to no end if you don’t let the butter cool first. Trust me.) Drizzle over vegetables, tossing well to coat. Serve immediately.

Makes 4 servings.

Adapted from Cooking Light magazine.

The Best Chocolate Cake Ever

The Best Chocolate Cake Ever

That’s what it was called on the website where I…

teeny tiny cheesecakes

A week or two ago, I decided to bake cheesecake.…

Shredded Pork Tacos

Oh, my… I think I’ve found our new favorite recipe.…

1. connie says:

after thanksgiving, i would always eat mashed potato sandwichs… my mom would just stare at me funny. thank you for also enjoying the quirky comfort food!

2. Lindsay says:

Mashed potato SANDWICHES? Whoa! That’s definitely one I hadn’t heard of before. Maybe it’s just because my family never had much in the way of leftover mashed potatoes!

3. Dianka says:

Oh this looks so good! I just love tofu, I wish my hubbie ate it! The sides look perfect as well! Have a good lunch!

4. Helios says:

My husband’s family always make mashed turnips (just like potatoes but with turnips) for Thanksgiving/Christmas etc. Last year I discovered a new favorite. Mashed turnips, leftover stuffing and a little cheddar cheese on french bread. All warmed. Heaven.

Your dinner looks deliicious – that’s a CL recipe I must try, and soon!

5. sally says:

Ooh, looks delicious. And mashed potatoes is my FAVORITE side. Sometimes I eat it as a main dish with a little meat on the side. =)

6. lara says:

that tofu looks amazing! i’m making it on friday…can’t wait.

7. Michelle says:

Must be in our blood because I LOVE mashed potatoes! Especially mom’s! It all looks good! Love you!

8. mom says:

Mashed potatoes are very good on a tortilla, and also as a pattie dipped in egg , then fried! I have never tasted Tofu, but that looks very good! love you

9. Christina says:

I can’t tell you how many times I have been sizzled, popped and down right nearly burned by that balsamic brown butter sauce. Why didn’t I figure it out that you have to let the butter cool? Geez. Well, it’s a good thing I stopped by today! Now I can make our favorite side without fear from now on!

10. Beth says:

Hey – you guys should totally come over for dinner! Oh, and cook. :) That looks so good – it makes my little vegetarian heart happy.

11. Pearl says: