So much sadness lately… so many tragedies, some major, some minor. It’s such a foul Monday.
- My dad’s brother passed away yesterday. I didn’t know him well, and we weren’t close at all. But I worry about my dad, who has lost three brothers in the past few years.
- Gourmet magazine is closing. It was my first food magazine, and is still my favorite. I can’t believe Conde Nast chose to close Gourmet and keep Bon Appetit. What were they thinking?
- First, my friend and bartender Ryan Ffrench left Annie’s Cafe. Then chef Mark Schmidt left. And now, tragedy of all tragedies, friend and bar manager David Alan left Annie’s. I don’t know what’s going on there to make so many people leave so suddenly, but it can’t be good. Who is making drinks now? Are they following David’s recipes? Is everything still fresh and fun and perfect? I’m afraid to find out. Where will we (my foodie friends and I) meet up now? Oh, sadness.
- Justin and I just finished reading Catching Fire. We have to wait a year until the sequel is published, and we’re left in that Empire Strikes Back kind of limbo… someone missing, someone sad, war imminent. (sigh)
- I had nightmare after nightmare last night … Justin had to wake me up several times because I was screaming. This is not a new thing, I’ve had nightmares (and night terrors) since I was a teenager, but last night’s were especially vicious.
I think I’ll have to bake some cookies tonight. Cookies make everything better.
Hope your Monday is going well. I promise my next post won’t be such a downer. :/
Edited to add: My friend Wolf sent me this link to cheer me up, and it really, really did! So I want to share it with you. (Also, Wolf just finished writing his first novel. How awesome is that?!)
9 responses to “Heartbroken”
Hi lovely. I’m sorry things are so down right now. You and Justin will be in my thoughts as well as your father.
Lots of Love,
Bummer about all the bad news. Things seem to be under a cloud of darkness, but it will lift, I’m sure. Cookies help too 🙂
Aw, Crystal, I’m so sorry about your uncle. Three brothers… wow.
And I’m around if you want to try out a new happy hour place or go somewhere for a cheer-up tasty drink or food… – I have no idea what happened with Annie’s, except that it’s really strange!
I love you sis.
Cheer up 🙂
Thanks, everyone. I am feeling better, and I did bake cookies… I’ll share those with you soon. 🙂
Wow – that is a lot, Crystal. That is a super tough Monday! I hope today was much better!! 🙂
You’re right – the video from Wolf was hilarious!
Mom and I listened to the link that Wolf sent you….that is a really kewl link! it really perked me up, too. Don’t worry about me, I am fine, and am really glad to have my family to help get through these hard times…I love you, and hope the rest of the week is better for you. Dad
oh i’ll be thinking of you and your family and your dad. i’m sorry that so many sad and upsetting things have happened recently. sending you happy thoughts my friend