Sometimes, you need a ginormous bowl of oatmeal to get you through the day.
Sometimes, you need a ginormous bowl of oatmeal with muscovado sugar, plumped dried cherries, toasted pecans and browned butter. That is all.
*Edited to add:
For those of you who would like a recipe, here are the basics of how I made this:
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup dried cherries (or other dried fruit)
- 1 – 2 tablespoons sugar (I used muscovado, but regular white sugar or honey would be lovely)
- pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup rolled oats (not quick-cooking)
- 1/4 cup toasted nuts (I used pecans)
- 1 – 2 teaspoons butter (or a tablespoon if you’re having a bad day)
Bring water, dried cherries, sugar and salt to a boil. Stir in oats and cook for about 5 minutes, or until most of the water is absorbed and oatmeal is the consistency/texture you prefer. Remove from heat, then stir in toasted nuts; serve topped with browned butter.
For the browned butter: while the oatmeal is cooking, heat a bit of butter in a small skillet until it melts and bubbles; heat a bit longer until it just starts to turn brown and smells amazingly yummy. Pour the butter over the hot oatmeal, and serve warm. This makes one hefty serving, or two smaller ones. 🙂