There is no way I could pick the top five things to taste before you die, so consider this list…
5 things off the top of my head that I’d love for you to taste someday:
1. Locally-made frozen desserts. My favorites? Cherry Ristra ice cream from Taos Cow in Taos, New Mexico; dark chocolate ice cream with Kit-Kat crushin’s or Mexican vanilla ice cream with graham crackers, strawberries, and cinnamon from Amy’s Ice Cream in Austin, Texas; and chocolate sorbet from Dolce Vita in Austin, Texas.
2. Homemade flour tortillas. There is nothing more comforting than watching your mom and grandma make tortillas, and knowing that they’ll let you snag a hot one to slather with butter and eat before dinner. (Though you can never eat the first one…it’s bad luck, I think.)
3. New Mexican enchiladas. Enchiladas are a whole new world in New Mexico, where the sauces are made in a unique style with tons of real chiles. My recommendation? An order of stacked cheese enchiladas with Christmas sauce (both red and green sauce), topped with two over-easy eggs. I’m drooling just thinking about it. Top that off with a thick New Mexican sopaipilla, and you’re in heaven.
4. These chocolate chip cookies. I swear, they are the best homemade chocolate chip cookies I’ve ever tried. Perfectly thick, chewy, and amazing when still warm from the oven.
5. Fresh Kettle Corn. Here in Austin, every first Thursday of the month, vendors and crowds gather on South Congress Avenue for shopping, eating, and live music. The best thing there? The little kettle corn trailer that hands out samples of hot-off-the-popper sweet-salty popcorn. Sooooo good.
Have a great weekend, everyone!