Oh, goodness, this was so good. I tweaked this recipe for us, and came up with the semi-recipe below. The portabellos are meaty and flavorful, the greens are sharp, and the cheese mellows it all out. So good.
Roasted Portabello Salad
- 1 large or 2 medium portabello mushrooms, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Mixed greens: I used mesclun and mizuna from our Farmhouse bin (maybe 5 – 6 cups?)
- 1/2 cup shredded Manchego cheese
Preheat oven to 425°F.
Toss mushrooms with 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper in a bowl. Roast in 1 layer on a baking sheet, turning once, until golden-brown and tender, about 15 minutes. Cool mushrooms.
Whisk together vinegar, mustard, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper, and remaining 4 tablespoons oil in a bowl until combined. Toss mushrooms, greens, and cheese with enough dressing to coat (we had quite a bit of dressing left, so maybe half the amounts above would be good for 2 people… but I just put the extra in a jar for tomorrow).
Makes 2 big servings.
Adapted from Epicurious.com.