Just a quick note to let you know what I bought at the farmer’s market today:
*Tomatoes, red and juicy
*Sweet, tiny cherry tomatoes
*Slender Japanese eggplant
*Meaty Malabar spinach
*Fresh golden figs
*Firm cremini mushrooms
*Fragrant lemon basil
*Gorgeous purple and green yard-long beans
*Multi-colored bell peppers
Then I stopped at Sweetish Hill Bakery for a fresh baguette and a loaf of whole wheat bread.
Which means lunch was this:
Summer Veggie Sandwich
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small bell pepper, diced
- 4 small Japanese eggplants, sliced
- 2 cups cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 4 small tomatoes, diced
- 2 handfuls Malabar spinach, chopped
- 1 handful lemon basil, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 a baguette, sliced in half lengthwise, then in half crosswise to make 2 sandwiches
- 1/2 cup shredded herb-garlic cheddar
Heat oil in a large skillet; add garlic and bell pepper and saute 1 minute. Add remaining vegetables except basil, and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened. Add salt to taste.
Meanwhile, top baguette halves with shredded cheddar and toast in a warm oven until cheese is melted. Use a slotted spoon to scoop the vegetables onto two of the sandwich halves, then top with the remaining baguette.
*We still have lots of sauteed veggies leftover, which I plan on using as a pasta topping tonight.
Makes 2 large sandwiches, plus extra veggies for later.