This weekend we attended our very first ACL Festival. After over ten years of living in Austin, we finally went – but only because a friend gave us free VIP passes for the Friday shows. :) We had a great time wandering around, hanging out in the VIP Grove, snacking on foodstuffs, and listening to awesome music. It’s hard to decide on my favorite – Vampire Weekend was incredible live, but my favorite memory was at the end of the evening, when we decided to head home, and were caught up by an amazing show by Kaskade, along with a rainstorm that left all of us dancing, drenched, and happy. It was something I’ll never forget.
We also got to see The Book of Mormon at Bass Concert Hall, which was hilariously irreverent, with amazing performances and themes that were thought-provoking. Overall, it was a fantastic weekend.
In other news, I watched Tucker and Dale vs. Evil, which I had been meaning to watch since the Austin Film Festival back in 2010, and only got to tonight. It’s hilarious, and it’s a lovely ode the the horror cabin-in-the-woods genre. Definitely worth watching (especially if you’re a huge fan of Alan Tudyk.)
Here in Austin we’ve had lots of rain, and cloudy days, and a bit of fall-like weather, though we’re still a ways out from boots-and-sweater time. At least I can wear jeans without sweltering.
Oh! And I’ve fallen in love with Trader Joe’s, as probably everyone assumed I would do. It’s like a Whole Foods or a Central Market, but less expensive, and with more awesome convenience ingredients. I can buy pre-chopped organic Tuscan kale, peeled and diced fresh butternut squash, autumn-spice tea and speculoos cookies, miso-ginger broth and inexpensive organic, cage-free eggs. AND they have cheap bubbles, which we have renamed chubbles. And best of all, it’s just a few minutes from our house, so I can hop on over any time.
Other recent things:
- I read The Name of the Wind, the first in a trilogy of long but amazing fantasy novels about a badass named Kvothe. Book two is waiting for me at the library, and I plan to start reading it tomorrow.
- I’ve started reading The Tender Bar after a strong recommendation from a man named Peter who we met at the bar at Jeffrey’s one evening. This is why I love dining/drinking at the bar – there is so much potential to meet and talk with amazing people. And find new books to read.
- I’m slowly working my way through the first season of House of Cards. I love it, even though it is so much darker and skeevier than The West Wing. Somehow I am rooting for the bad guy, and I feel okay about it.
- I bought Nigel Slater’s newest book, and I’m slowly devouring it as I did The Kitchen Diaries, and Ripe, and Tender. God I love Nigel Slater.
- I got a new fall haircut, with bangs! I’m super excited about it, because it’s exactly what I wanted, it’s easy to style, and it feels fantastic. I’ll try to post a photo soon.
I hope you all have a fabulous Columbus Week! ;) ♥