August 29, 2012
Please try to remember the truths you’ve learned thus far in life:
- You love the idea of oysters more than you love oysters. You love them most with saltines and cocktail sauce. This is okay.
- Some days, it will seem impossible to crawl out of bed. Do it anyway.
- You always feel better when you wake up early.
- You don’t have to have a drink just because everyone else is having one.
- When you find something at the thrift store, and think, “this will be perfect once I alter it,” PUT IT BACK. You will not get around to altering it and it will sit in your closet for months or years and every time you open your closet you’ll see that stupid dress and it will laugh at you.
- You don’t have to work every day.
- Remember how much you like spaghetti with meat sauce, mashed potatoes, pizza, steamed broccoli, buttered toast, soft-boiled eggs, potato chips, and dark chocolate with caramel. Try to have some of these more often.
- If you cover up with Grandma’s quilt – on the couch, on the bed, anywhere – you WILL fall asleep.
- You don’t have to worry about every other person in the room. You don’t have to be perfect. It’s okay to take care of yourself.
- You like pink. This is okay.
- You love taking walks at night. Do it more often.
- He loves you. That is all you need.
- You love having photographs of experiences. Carry your camera.
- Sometimes the best course of action is to do nothing, and just let the world be.
- You can ask for help.
- Always take a large canvas bag with you to the library. You will fill it up. Even if you only paid for 15 minutes on the parking meter, YOU WILL FILL IT UP.
- You will never understand your cats.
- Everything will be okay.