Fry Bread Tacos

December 13, 2010

Okay, sooooo… here’s another video!

My mom created this recipe after we had tried some fry bread from a roadside stand when we were traveling somewhere in New Mexico (Ruidoso?). Fry bread is a flat dough that’s deep fried to a crispy, puffy perfection. It’s similar to sweet fried breads like bunuelos, and sopaipillas, and beignets, I suppose, but we make ours into a puffy chalupa of sorts. We always called them Indian tacos, but maybe that wasn’t so politically correct? So maybe we should call them fry bread tacos.

This is another great use of New Mexican red chile sauce. (After this, we’ll have to try making enchiladas, and tamales, and menudo!)

The basics:

• Make flour tortillas (you can use a mix), and once the dough is rolled out, fry them rather than griddle-cook them.
  • Top them with a mixture of ground beef, pinto beans, and red chile sauce. Top that with shredded lettuce, diced tomato, and shredded cheese.
  • That’s it!

This video’s a little long, but if you watch it, hopefully it will inspire you to fry up some bread. Funny things to notice in the video: Little (our tiny black cat) meowing, Justin’s phone ringing, and Roux (our great big orange cat) sitting by his food bowl, looking all hungry. :)

Making Fry Bread Tacos from Crystal Esquivel on Vimeo.

Article Tags

In which we embrace the plant-base

(Oh hi, it’s been a while, we’re changing things on…

Things I made

I often take photos of food I make and then…

Whisler’s

Sometimes a place and a time is so lovely you…

1. Michelle says:

Yeah! Leftover fried bread is good with LOTS OF HONEY!!

2. mom says:

You two are great at cooking. Also left over chile mix is great for nachos.

3. anya says:

That looks delicious! Will have to give it a try soon.

4. designinbloom says:

My Sis in law makes them and she is Navajo – We always called them Navajo tacos!

I was thinking I had heard “Navajo fry bread” somewhere… so that makes sense!

• designinbloom says:

We have been told it is a recipe passed down through Navajo families. My sis-in-law was taught by her grandmother. We love Fry Bread so much now that we request it at every holiday. It goes amazingly well with most traditional (and not so traditional) holiday meals!

I forget that you can eat fry bread as the BREAD – as a side to a meal. Crazy! I guess it makes sense – in some places in New Mexico, they serve sopaipillas with the meal. As the bread. Oh, jeez, I miss New Mexican food.

5. P.Esquivel says:

You two are awesome!! I got hungry as I watched and I could almost smell the chili sauce.