Spilling the beans.

July 30, 2010

Okay, it’s time to tell you all the source of my stress/anxiety/excitement.

I’m writing a book! Specifically, I’m writing The Food Lovers’ Guide to Austin. Can you believe it?!

A friend told me of an editor who was looking for Austin food writers for a project. I contacted the editor to see what kind of project it was, and she answered by saying that she had been reading my blog, and thought I’d be the perfect person to write this book! So within, oh, two weeks or so, I was up to my eyeballs in research and planning and contracts and outlines and such.

I’m so excited about it! It fits my writing style and personality perfectly… this is not a critical review of Austin restaurants, it’s a positive look at some of the best eateries, specialty markets, cooking classes, and food festivals that Austin has to offer. I hate writing negative things (so much so that I have chosen not to blog about lots of bad or mediocre restaurants in town, rather than to blog about them in a negative light). I would much rather sing the praises of the places, chefs, bartenders, and food that I love, and now I get to do that in my very own book!

I’m so excited about putting together a cheat sheet of great food and drink in Austin. I can’t tell you how many times a week I get asked for restaurant recommendations from friends and coworkers, and it’s nice to know that someday soon, I’ll have a book to refer them to. 🙂 I love that people from all over the country (world?) might use this book when they come to visit Austin, and that my recommendations might lead them to visit my restaurant/chef/bartender friends and the amazing food establishments they’ve created. I love that maybe someone will search for “food in Austin” on Amazon.com, and maybe my book will pop up, and maybe they’ll buy it, then decide that Austin is in fact a food heaven, and that they should come for a visit. I love that I get to represent my amazing city and it’s fabulous food culture with this book.

My deadline is very, very soon… I have only a few months to pull all of this together, so I’m a tad bit stressed out. These days, I might get up at 5:30 to write before work, then work all day, then come home and do a bit of research, then go out to a restaurant, then come home and try to write or organize… and by then it’s time to go to bed and repeat the process. I’m tired and a little scared and frustrated, but the excitement outweighs all of that.

So! This is why you’ve seen so many restaurant posts lately. And why you’ll probably see lots more to come. And probably no home-cooking/recipes until maybe November.

I’m always looking for suggestions on restaurants and markets I might have missed… so if you have a place in mind that you adore, please, send the info my way!

Anyway, internets, thanks for your support. Have a great weekend!

Daily Eats: Saturday

Daily Eats: Friday

Some days I don’t realize that I haven’t had a…

Daily Eats: Thursday

I saw someone on YouTube make a green pea-avocado toast,…

1. allyn says:

this is super exciting news. how cool is it to take your writing and foodie love to the next leve with accessibility to the world! that’s amazing. i’m sure to make the purchase when it comes out. i’ll be making my way to austin to visit a friend next year so please keep me (us all) posted on your writing adventure and the book release. : )

2. Andria says:

So excited for you! So excited to read it…and buy it as a gift for someone and get you to autograph it. What a great book it will be!

3. Liz says:

Congratulations!! That’s amazing!!

4. Kim (last name used to be Russ -- from Medicus) W. says:

So cool, Crystal!!! Can’t wait to get my copy!

5. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Sarah Graham, Crystal Esquivel. Crystal Esquivel said: Spilling the beans: I'm writing a book! About Austin food! 🙂 http://poco-cocoa.com/?p=3079 […]

Wow, congratulations! This is so cool, you’re becoming a real live published author of a BOOK! I can say that I knew you before you became famous 😉

Wei-Wei

7. abby says:

Yay Crystal!
    You can do it 🙂
    Just think…by Christmas time this will be all said and done and you will be a bona fide author. That is awesome!

8. Malinda says:

Congratulations on your book! I have only recently discovered your Blog. I have been living in Austin for 4 years and love to try new restaurants. I currently live more on the west side of town, so getting to hear the cool new restaurants central and on the East Side has been great! I’m not sure of all the restaurants you have been to, but some of my favorite places I’ve been to are the Eastside Cafe, the Good Knight, the Shuck Shack, Olivia, Blue Star Cafeteria, Athenian Grill, Hula Hut, Uchi, Taco Deli, and the list could go on and on.
    Best of luck and I am looking forward to all the restaurant review!

Thanks, Malinda! If you don’t mind, I’ll be emailing you soon for more details on some of your favorites. I’m so glad you found my little blog and have found new eateries with it!

9. Nicole says:

So excited for you, Crystal! Darius and I will brainstorm some of our favorites and get back with you. Can’t wait til it comes out!

10. kickpleat says:

I think this is so awesome, Crystal!! Congratulations and it just shows that good ol’ hard work and passion always win out in the end. Hooray!! Now one of these days I just need to come down and visit Austin!

11. Jene says:

This is fabulous news. I love your blog and have used your recommendations several times. Wishing you the best with the project and can’t wait to pick up my copy when it is cooked!

12. Margo Sivin says:

Hi! I’ve been a reader of your blog for a few months now and I looooove it. I live in Austin (during the school year) and I’m so happy to see your beautiful photos of places I need to check out!

I haven’t seen these places on your blog (not to say you’ve missed them!) but I hope you include them. 🙂

Izoz (taco stand)
    Frank (hot dogs)
    Blue Dahlia (french)
    Progress (coffee)
    Boite (coffee)

Can’t wait for your book!!

Thanks, Margo! A few of those are already on the list/written, and the others are still to come. Ooooh, a pastry from La Boite sounds so dreamy right about now… 🙂

13. Carolyn says:

Congrats!!! Makes me miss Austin 😉

14. ai says:

1. Congratulations! This is super exciting.
    2. Deadlines are real pain, but hang in there. They will come and go away once they do.
    3. Now that I think about it, I have been to Austin for a day when I helped my friend move to Houston all the way from Wisconsin. I remember eating at this famous pork rib (I think?) place and taking a break at this big open cafe downtown. Real nice town.

Thanks so much! I wonder if it was Artz Rib House? Yep, we do have a real nice town here. Also, the list format cracked me up… I’m rubbing off on you! 🙂

15. anya says:

How wonderful and exciting! The stressful periods are at least for a worthy cause.

16. Cheri says:

WOO HOO! So happy for you 🙂 It will come together, try not to stress out too much.

17. Ariane says:

Congrats, Crystal!

May I suggest a visit to Baguette et Chocolat in Bee Cave, if you haven’t already been? It’s one of my happy places.

Thank you, Ariane! I definitely plan to try this place. Maybe I can head out there early and bring in pastries for my coworkers (or maybe I’ll just eat them all myself). 😉

18. Mark says:

Super Mega High Five to you, Crystal! I’m tremendously happy for you, and I can’t wait to see — and own a copy of — your book!

19. Neka says:

Same here! I’m so excited for you! And I will definitely buy a copy or two! Yay!

20. Yay! This is just what Austin needs, and you are the perfect person for the job.

Congrats! I can’t wait to hear more about it…

21. Dad says:

Crys,
    My notion is that they picked the best of the best for this book…

22. Amy says:

Yay! So happy that you are sharing the news…can’t wait to see the finished product. I am sure it will be lovely.

23. Flavia says:

OMG Crystal, this is huge!!! I particularly loved it because it’s in my plans to one day publish a book. I’m really, really happy for you! I’m sure this will be a success… just keep up with the good work :)x

24. Florence says:

So many congratulations on your book! It definitely sounds like something I would want to read.