I bought a new cookbook: The Best Simple Recipes from America’s Test Kitchen. I lurve it. It’s full of tasty-looking, non-intimidating recipes, and I want to make every one of them! For now I’ll share this one with you, but you should really just go buy the book, because seriously, it’s a good one.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 10 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 9 ounces fresh fettucini (you can use 4 cups of egg noodles instead)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1/2 rotisserie chicken, skin discarded, meat shredded into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper
Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook onion and mushrooms until golden brown, about 8 minutes.
Meanwhile, bring broth, half-and-half, and noodles to boil in a large pot. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, until noodles are tender and liquid is slightly thickened, 5 to 8 minutes.
Add chicken, peas, lemon juice, thyme and mushroom mixture to the pot and stir; cook until heated through, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Makes 4 servings.
Adapted from The Best Simple Recipes.