Crafty things

March 3, 2006

So…I got the job! I’ll be starting tomorrow afternoon at Moxie & the Compound and Plume. It’s the cutest little boutique, with lots of hand-made stuff, and the owners are super-cool. I’m excited to get in there and start organizing things, and be familiar with all the designers and their wares. It may be a long day, up early at the B&B, then the afternoon at the shop, but the two are so different that I don’t think it will bother me. How amazing is this…two fun and laid-back jobs, with two of my favorite things…food and crafts. I’ll let you all know how it goes.

Speaking of crafts, here’s a glimpse at the tablecloth that I made for our kitchen. I used an extra fitted sheet that I cut into a circle and hemmed, then I embroidered my favorite poem around the edge:

This Is Just to Say

I have eaten
the plums
that were in
the icebox

and which
you were probably
saving
for breakfast

Forgive me
they were delicious
so sweet
and so cold

by William Carlos Williams

I love it…and it has opened up the possibility of creating other tablecloths, with embroidery, or quilting, or silk-screening. We have a glass piece that fits over the cloth, so it would be protected from spills and the like.

So happy Friday, everyone, and have a wonderful weekend!

Notice: Undefined offset: 0 in /nfs/c01/h05/mnt/35176/domains/poco-cocoa.com/html/wp-content/themes/minimy-child/functions.php on line 18

A beautiful mess.

One night, we went to Kate & David’s home to…

Cowl.

I stayed up until 5:30 a.m. knitting this. I’m going…

Journaling

I keep lots of journals. My favorites are my visual…

1. bearette24 says:

i love that poem too. i think i originally saw it on the subway!

2. Dad says:

Hi there,
    Glad to hear you got the job! Mom told me about it a couple of days ago, and we were both hoping that you would get it. Enjoy it! Love, Dad

3. Lindsay says:

Congrats, Crys! I’m so excited for you! 🙂

4. Lora says:

Congrats! It looks very cool.

5. Vidya says:

Congrats on the job! Your blog is great. I found out about you through molly chicken. Glad to know that you’re as crafty as I am…let’s swap sometime. I have some fun ol’ goods!

6. crystal says:

Thanks, everyone! Vidya, I’m all up for swapping! Email me at crystalATpoco-cocoaDOTcom if you’d like.

7. Sicilian says:

Love your blog. Read it often. I think the tablecloth is so cute. I wanted to stay at your B&B tonight, but ya’ll are booked up.
    Question about the tablecloth . . . why did you use a fitted sheet vs a flat sheet. I have often used a flat sheet when I add extensions to my table, but always put a lacy tablecloth over it. Hadn’t thought about doing anything crafty. Thanks for the idea because I am going to do one for my table and probably my mom’s.
    Good luck with the new job. I don’t think it gets any better than when you love what you do for work.

8. Lisa says:

Congrats on the job! Yay! And great job on the tablecloth. I love that poem.

9. Isil says:

Congratulations on the job! I liked the cloth and the poem as well 🙂

10. kickpleat says:

yay! your job sounds like it will be a blast! and your table cloth is gorgeous 🙂

11. Oh I LOVE IT! that is fabulous. I may quite posibly have to sell your idea my table is falling apart and it desperatly needs a new table cloth, you wouldnt be mad would you (I will use a different poem).

12. crystal says:

Sicilian, I wish you could have stayed with us! We’ve been really booked lately, which is a good thing, I guess. I used a fitted sheet because that’s all I had…the flat sheet is being used as a “dust ruffle” on our bed! Everyone, feel free to use this idea…it’s so simple and fun to do.

13. Michelle says:

Looks wonderful and I am so excited about your job(s)! I can’t wait to get down there and see the stuff in the shop! I really think you should take them up on selling your stuff! does Leti put things to sell in the shop?

14. Liz says:

I have a copy of that poem framed in my kitchen. What a neat idea to put it on a tablecloth!

I made your ginger-peanut tofu salad wraps last weekend- an absolute hit.

15. crystal says:

Liz, I’m so glad you liked the wraps!